Sunday, July 8, 2012

Freedom, history, and ethics...

Coming through this period of life where I found myself immersed in my trials and tribulations within the experience with a psychopath and his oddball clan, I forgot to recognize this as a step in growth.  I just read Bill Harris' Thresholds of the Mind.  I am 59 and have some awareness of Scientology and the thought-gurus of the '50's.  I found the book most interesting and written in a down-to-earth style.  It struck me as very similar to much of Hubbard's works.

I find myself in a new stage of awareness of myself as I continue my journey into tomorrow.  Meditation has long been practiced and urged by spiritual teachers, writers, and those seeking inner peace.  I can't help but wonder, being a science fiction appreciator, if  that is not our path in this evolutionary platform.  In the end of the original "Matrix" film, the protagonist Nero knows he can control much of his living experience, and yet, there comes a sequel.  Harris and other authors believe that upheaval is the signal for a readiness for growth, expansion of awareness, and new evaluations.  Although even Hubbard's techniques lend themselves to a connectivity to an energy band of more than this plane of experimentation, what if this "mystery" of attempting to master Fate by controlling emotions has us forever trying to "avoid" anguish.  And this very angst is the driving force for our undertaking of the set of unfolding circumstances leading to modifications and distinguishable differences in our development.

With all the writers of this period in our history, there appears a strong undercurrent of the cognizance of social dynamics, personal responsibility, and an ethical framework that signals a direction away from the lower divisions of taxonomic kingdoms.  Howard Bloom speculates in his book, Global Brain, that man and the bacterial kingdom vie for dominance on  planet Earth.  If mass-mind and cohesion in the form of love bring the sensation of jurisdiction, just what are we as individuals?

It falls within my belief system that we - individuals - forge pathways for acknowledgment of achievement in the same vein as time is compartmentalized by us on this physical plane.  We need to mark the flow of our coming-to-know.  And just perhpas THIS IS the point of it all.  Bloom in his work, The Lucifer Principle suggests a new way to look at sociology. 

In my contact with psychopathy, I have, also - like Bloom,  felt that evil may be intrinsically set within the formative structures of humanity.  The essential character of an indivisible entity may mirror a god-like presence of compassion and desire for expanding expression of creativity or it may pull inward the boundaries of the significance of symbols of communication.  The lovely children's movie, "The Never Ending Story" explores the idea of evil being the cessation of imagination and halting the supplement of a forever moving "more."

As I work my way into deciphering my personal path, I discover that this life must be more than simple attainment of food, clothing, and shelter.  But, it must also be more than settling into a comfortable cushion of philosophy.  The cutting edge of LIFE, in capital letters, is boldness of conception AND execution.  Still, the magnanimity must include personal ethics.  I believe we strive for a distinction of excellence.  History must be taken into account as one charts a forward path.  Perhaps that's why journaling serves such a wonderful purpose: it's history's first draft.  Winston Churchhill may have touched a chord of truth: "For my part, I consider that it will be found much better by all parties to leave the past to history, especially as I propose to write that history myself."



1 comment:

  1. Witing a new history, from now... Great thought! One that I will TRY to put into practice, alhtough we cannot help but be made of our experiences, good or bad, and how we relate to them, by allowing them to penetrate our psyche, and absorbing the good and learning to put it into practice, or taking the bad and allowing it to wound, manifesting itself into ugliness.I admit to having allowed both in my life. I have been endeavoring to reverse the detrimental effects of 'bad things that happen to good people'or the "bad" that I have perpetuated stemming either from direct influence or the desire to be so contrary to that which I perceived to be wrong and affected me, that I over-compensated, becoming, in my own way, as bad.
    I have found hind-sight to be quite clear.Now, if I only look back soon enough to put what has been revealed into immediate compensory actions on my part, I and those around me, may well benefit.
    Thanks for making me look again and pressuring me to be more analytical.

    ReplyDelete